It may seem early to be thinking about summer possibilities for your children, but June will be here before you know it. We've scouted out some options in Fair Oaks, Sacramento and even Davis to keep your children both mentally and physically active. Whether your child is into animals, prefers basic arts and crafts or wants to be on stage, there's something for every Tom, Dick and Harriet; the hard part will be to pick which one to attend. Contact each individual camp for additional descriptive information regarding dates, course overview and requirements, pricing and availability, as offerings are subject to change.
- - This is the perfect camp for kids crazy about all things equine. Horse lovers from eight to 16 years-old can select from one of six 5-day sessions which run from mid June to the end of July from 8 a.m. until noon. Participants will be matched up with a horse according to height, temperament and experience. Daily riding, grooming and nutrition are all part of the curriculum. With 6-7 students per group, spots are expected to fill up quickly, so register Roxanne or Paul as soon as possible for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Camp Fair Oaks - If you've got children ages five to 12 and want to keep them close by, the is offering nine sessions of week-long camps that go from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m., running from mid-June to mid-August. Your youngsters can choose from fun themes, like "Art-A-Palooza" and "Party in the USA." Each week includes a different field trip, like bowling at Strikes or going to Old Sacramento. You'll have peace of mind knowing that they're having a ball swimming and making new friends under the tutelage of trained professionals. Registration begins April 11. See you there!
- Fairytale Town - Bet you didn't know this place has a summer camp! Fun Camps are available for three to four year-olds, four to six year-olds and six to 12 year-olds. At $130 per camp, the week-long sessions cover the topics of gardening, animal, drawing, music and even cooking. Member discounts are available and member registration begins March 15, with nonmember registration commencing April 1. Pre-registration is required. "Children learn through play," is Fairytale Town's motto and we couldn't agree more—we think your kids will, too.
- Sacramento Theatre Company - What can your talented thespian expect from attending this two-week long camp? Improvisation, scene study, voice and movement, theatre history, mask work and more, according to STC's website. Three sessions of ACT*DANCE*SING! are offered for two different age groups, and run from the end of June through the beginning of August—Perfect for the child with a rich and imaginative fantasy life. Reserve a spot now, as they'll go quickly. Lights, camera, action!
- UC Davis Cooking Camp - Do you have a budding Giada De Laurentiis or Guy Fieri at home? Parents with little ones who just can't stay out of the kitchen, consider sending your chefs-to-be to this hands-on camp, where they'll learn to make appetizers, salads, soups, desserts—even high-end macaroni and cheese—under the direction of an experienced chef instructor. Three week-long sessions are available in July for fourth through eighth graders. Special dietary needs can be accommodated, and if you're an ARC Member or UC Davis student, you'll receive a discount.