.

Keep Christmas Trees Watered, Away From Heat

Lights on a tree sparked a blaze that forced residents out of their home.

Lights on a tree in Arden-Arcade sparked a blaze that forced a family out of its home four days before Christmas and fire officials warned residents to take precautions with their decorative greenery.

The blaze was reported in the 31000 Leatha Way about 4:15 p.m. Friday, according to Michelle Eidam, with the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District.

It was unclear whether the lights shorted out or if they just burned too hot on a dry tree but they caused “a pretty significant fire,” Eidam told Patch.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire at the single-family home but the residents present at the time had gotten out safely, Eidam said.

It took 29 firefighters about 15 minutes to contain the flames, she said.

Eidam warned Sacramento county residents to turn off the lights at night when going to bed; keep trees away from heat sources, such as fireplaces, candles, heating ducts and keep trees adequately watered.

She also said that unless manufacturers state otherwise, limit to three the number of decorative light strands used.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »