.

Video: Do You Know How to Stop a Stovetop Fire?

The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District held a kitchen fire demonstration Tuesday.

Members of the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District did something Tuesday that firefighters rarely do: they started a kitchen fire.

Luckily they demonstrated how to extinguish the grease fire, which was started in a room at the Rancho Cordova Inn, 10701 Folsom Blvd.

In a press release, the fire district said kitchen fires, which are usually caused by unattended cooking, are the leading cause of residential home fires.

"Cooking equipment was involved in two of every five (42%) reported home fires, one of every seven (15%) home fire deaths, two of every five (37%) of reported home fire injuries, and eleven percent of the direct property damage resulting from home fires," spokesman Assistant Chief Scott Cockrum said in a press release.

--

Three videos from the demonstration, which were uploaded by the fire district, are shown above.

Fair Oaks: As fire season approaches, how do you prepare? Do any of these statistics hold true in your home?

For all our latest fire coverage, please see our Fire Watch topic page at Fairoaks-Carmichael.patch.com/topics/Fire-Watch.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »