The Citrus Heights Police Department is currently accepting job applications for a vacant police dispatcher position.
The below job advertisement has been published publically, but here is the official release from the police department.
Police Dispatcher II
SALARY: $50,292.78 - $60,351.22/annually
Actively Screening and Interviewing as Received Recruitment may close without notice; apply early
Working at the Citrus Heights Police Department is all about character. Our reputation and ability to effectively serve is built on the words, actions, and habits of our people. At CHPD, we have created something out of the ordinary. The Citrus Heights Police Department is the place for you if you seek a destiny of excellence surrounded by professionals of high character. This is our mission. Do you have what it takes? Then join us at CHPD, it's all about character.
The Police Department is seeking a Police Dispatcher II, to perform extraordinary customer and community service with a calm professional demeanor while under stress. Our Police Dispatcher II's must possess at least three years of experience performing public safety dispatch services and exercising independent judgment in assessing and prioritizing calls for service and dispatching appropriate response units. Dispatchers at this level of experience are fully trained and knowledgeable of standard operating procedures and policies used in a 24-hour 9-1-1 Dispatch and Police Communication Center.
At CHPD, we have created a place where conviction and character count. A place where the community is truly put first. A place where performance and excellence are rewarded. A place where input and ideas ignite innovation. A place where everyone knows your name.
How do we do this? We do what we say. We accept responsibility and are accountable for our actions - good or bad. We listen and learn. We help employees develop and grow, and we provide real constructive feedback. We actively talk with our employees and seek their input and ideas. We do not settle for "we've always done it this way". We empower employees to make independent decisions and proactively solve problems. We partner with the community to build relationships and enhance safety.
You are an ideal candidate if you are seeking a character-based agency and have these attributes:
- Possess journey level knowledge of and skills in receiving, evaluating, prioritizing and relaying calls for emergency and non-emergency public safety assistance;
- Understand the uses and capabilities of CAD (computer aided dispatch) and operate a sophisticated CAD system quickly and accurately;
- Demonstrate knowledge of public safety classification codes, procedures and policies related to dispatching emergency personnel and equipment;
- Listen actively, use effective questioning techniques, and express yourself in English in a clear, distinct, and understandable manner when speaking;
- Have the ability to work regularly scheduled, rotating shifts;
- Understands the unique scheduling flexibility required when working in a 24-hour operation;
- Understand the philosophy and be committed to perform Community Oriented Policing within a communications center environment; and
- Possess knowledge and experience in CLETS and records paperwork.
The hiring salary may be set anywhere within the salary range, based on a candidate's experience and current compensation. The City offers first class benefits, including: CalPERS retirement - employee pays full member contribution, 136 hours of Annual Leave (to be used for vacation or sick time); 40 hours of Long Term Medical Leave; a substantial monthly City contribution toward health insurance, and if alternative health care coverage is demonstrated, a $500/month cash-out may be added to salary or deferred compensation; and fully paid family dental, family vision, life, and long-term disability insurance. The City does not participate in Social Security but does participate in Medicare and State Disability Insurance (SDI).
Recruitment Incentive: As a recruitment incentive, individuals hired into Police-specialized job classifications will accrue Annual Leave based on their years of service with their most recent public sector, law enforcement employer.
Minimum Qualifications for Police Dispatcher II
- Three years of police dispatching experience similar to the Police Dispatcher I in the City of Citrus Heights and the ability to enter data or type accurately at a speed of 35 words per minute net of errors; possession of a California P.O.S.T. Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Certificate is highly desirable at time of hire and must be obtained by completion of probation.
- Equivalent to completion of the 12th grade.
- May need to possess a valid California Driver's License and proof of automobile liability insurance.
This recruitment will close without notice once a sufficient number of applications have been received. To be considered for this position you must submit a completed, official City Employment Application and responses to a Supplemental Questionnaire. If you do not complete and submit all required information, your application may be disqualified from further consideration.
You may apply on-line at www.CalOpps.org. A cover letter and resume may be included as part of the on-line Employment Application under the heading "Additional Experience." After you electronically submit the Application form using CalOpps, the Supplemental Questionnaire format will appear for you to complete and submit as the remainder of the required on-line application process.
HARD COPY APPLICATION
You may obtain a hard copy Employment Application and Supplemental Questionnaire by visitinghttp://jobs.citrusheights.net and downloading these materials, or you may request these materials by calling the City's Human Resources Jobline at (916) 727-4900. Submit hard copy application materials to: City of Citrus Heights - Human Resources, Attention: Police Dispatcher II Recruitment, 6237 Fountain Square Drive, Citrus Heights, CA 95621. No postmarked, faxed, or e-mailed materials will be accepted.
City Selection Standards and Practices: The City reserves the right to select applicants for further consideration who demonstrate the best qualifications match for the job. Meeting the minimum qualifications requirements does not guarantee an applicant an invitation to the next step(s) in the selection process. Only the most qualified applicants as determined by the City may be invited to the next step(s) of the selection process.
Method of Communication
Primary communication regarding your status relative to this recruitment will be by e-mail. Applicants are solely responsible for monitoring their e-mail communication messages and systems. Applicants are solely responsible for informing the City of changes in contact information, including but not limited to e-mail addresses, mailing addresses, post office boxes, and telephone numbers.
For additional information about this recruitment call (916) 727-4900, or e-mail email@example.com.